Hummus is a food dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic.It is very popular throughout the Middle East and North Africa.
The earliest known recipes for a dish similar to hummus are recorded in cookbooks published in Cairo in the 13th century.
- 200 gr cooked chick peas (you may use canned chick peas)
- 2 tbsp
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- the juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp cooking water from the chick peas (or, of you are using canned chick peas, use the liquid)
- Optionals for decoration: paprika, parsley and/or coriander, a dribble of olive oil, a few whole chick peas
Put in the food processor following ingredients: chick peas, cooking water, tahini, lemmon juice, garlic clove, cumin seeds, salt, olive oil. Mince them until you have a smooth purée. Check if the salt content is to your taste.
Serve in a dish or a bowl and add a dash of olive oil. For decoration you may sprinkle it with paprika and chopped parsley or/and coriander leaves. Add a few whole chick peas. You may also decorate it with some black olives.
Serve it with pita bread and some crudités for dipping.